Wednesday, February 12, 2020

I Keep Writing

It's been over three months since I posted anything. Life happens. Rest assured I am still writing like crazy.

Sometimes writing alone can be very isolating. One of the things I do when I lack motivation is to reread some of the books that gave me inspiration in the past. So, today I ordered a bunch of books from the library that I've already read (some, multiple times) because they keep me going. They are:

* "Peter Arno: The Mad Mad World of the New Yorker's Greatest Cartoonist" by Michael Maslin.

* "I Read It Only For the Cartoons: the New Yorker's Most Brilliantly Twisted Artists" by Richard Gehr.

* "How About Never? Is Never Good For You?: My Life in Cartoons" by Bob Mankoff.

* "The Naked Cartoonist" by Bob Mankoff.

What can I say? Re-reading these books lets me know that there are other people out there who are doing the same things I'm doing. I am not alone.

*****

Recently I started speaking to groups about cartoon gag writing. After coming up with ideas for cartoons for the past 25 years, working alone at my typewriter or computer, or with paper and pen in hand, I decided I wanted to talk to people about what I do. So far, the audiences have been very receptive. Maybe I'll inspire just one person to become a gag writer and/or work in a creative environment. In the meantime, I'm having fun with it.

Any questions or comments, email me at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment