Wednesday, October 30, 2019

New Books To Enjoy

Besides all the reading I do to get material for single-panel gag cartoons (for example, newspapers, magazines, online news and features, books, flyers and anything else that comes in the mail), I try to get my hands on new cartoon collections. Several new books featuring cartoons have recently been published and I look forward to reading all of them. They are:

* "Have I Got A Cartoon For You! The Moment Magazine Book of Jewish Cartoons," edited by Bob Mankoff.

* "Senior Moments. Older But No Wiser," by Tim Whyatt.

* "The Peanuts Papers," by Andrew Blauner.

* "Everyone's A Critic. The Ultimate Cartoon Book," edited by Bob Eckstein.

I just picked up a copy of "The Peanuts Papers" today and hope to begin reading it tonight. The others I will hunt down.

One of the ways I come up with cartoon ideas, besides finding words and phrases that can be used in my captions plus observing the world around me, is to go through cartoon collections for inspiration. I always seem to be able to come up with new ideas for cartoons by immersing myself in published cartoons. Studying cartoons in "New Yorker" since its inception helped me teach myself how to become a gag writer.

I hope you get a chance to read some of these cartoon collections. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Any questions or comments? Email me at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment