Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Two Outstanding Cartoon Events

Not that I spend all my time attending social gatherings, but I see it as a very important part of being a gag writer. I recently attended two wonderful cartooning events six days apart that I'd like to tell you about.

The first, the "Bunny Bash," was held on June 23rd at the home of Bunny Hoest of "The Lockhorns" fame, on Long Island. It's an event for the Berndt Toast Gang, the Long Island Chapter of the National Cartoonists Society. However, cartoonists from the local group and across the country plus many other invited guests gather at Bunny's home each June for a wonderful day of friendship, great views of Long Island Sound and terrific food. I've been a member of this group for about 17 years and it's great to speak to others who do the same type of work I do. There's also plenty of  opportunity to make new connections.

At this year's Bash, Bill Morrison, NCS President, presented Bob Lubbers with the "Gold Key" NCS Hall of Fame Award. George Booth, celebrating his 90th birthday, was presented with a huge cake. To compile a list of cartoonists who were in attendance would be exhausting, but a few more were: Mort Drucker, Mort Gerberg, Sam Gross, Sy Barry, Sandy Kossin, John Reiner, Hilary Price and Adrian Sinnott. A great afternoon in a great location!

I also attended a panel discussion on Funny Ladies of the New Yorker at the Museum of the City of New York on June 29th. Four female New Yorker cartoonists, Marisa Acocella Marchetto, Barbara Smaller, Liana Finck and Liza Donnelly, discussed their cartoons and where they get their ideas. Some other cartoonists in attendance were: Michael Maslin, Roz Chast, George Booth, Bob Eckstein and Isabella Bannerman. I really enjoyed hearing about where the panelists get their ideas and meeting new people. I walked away inspired and ready to get back to work.

I also realized that I'd like to be part of a panel discussion - where I'd be able to tell my story, and how I come up with ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment