Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Interview in "Ink Spill"

In last week's entry I told you about attending a cartooning event at the Museum of the City of New York on June 29th which featured a panel discussion by four female New Yorker cartoonists. It was a great evening as I was able to meet  some of the cartoonists I had never met - each with their own styles and personalities. I was also able to meet Michael Maslin, also a New Yorker cartoonist who has a blog on his website which focuses on news and events of the magazine and its cartoonists. I read this blog every day and it's very informative and interesting. I introduced myself to Michael at this event and he asked if he could interview me for his blog. A week later he did and the final product can be found by going to www.michaelmaslin.com and clicking on the icon on the upper left hand side: his "Ink Spill" blog. The entry is dated July 7th.

The interview goes into depth about where I get my ideas, how I work, the process by which I send gag ideas to syndicated and non-syndicated cartoonists and a few of my opinions about the role of the cartoon gag writer. Included is a gag slip which shows how I would send a gag to a cartoonist via regular mail and the resulting cartoon in The New Yorker. When I admitted in the interview that I don't draw, Michael asked me to draw a tree for the article, which I did. It appears in the interview.

I guess if you're interested in finding out how I work, reading this article could be very informative. I've already received many positive comments about the interview. I thank Michael Maslin for the opportunity to do this.

If you have any comments about this article or a previous entry on my blog, send me an email to: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment