Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The Importance of Hanging Out with Other "Creative Types"

I work alone and I'm sure most of the people who read this blog do too. When I'm super busy and I'm accomplishing things the time goes by very quickly. I don't even realize I haven't spoken to anyone except the members of my immediate family all week. However, when the words aren't coming and neither are the checks it can get boring, frustrating and lonely.

I believe it's important to find people who do the same type of work I do and "talk shop." I attend meetings and events of the National Cartoonists Society where I'm able to talk to people who understand what I do. This seems to motivate me and helps me to keep doing this every day. If I can't physically be with others who understand what I do I try to keep in touch with other gag writers and cartoonists online or even  by phone. Again, getting assistance, encouragement and feedback from others motivates me. So does getting an email telling me something I wrote sold. So does seeing my work in print. And, of course, getting a check in the mail and making that deposit is a great motivator as well.

What I'm trying to say is when you work alone you don't have people at the next desk to bounce ideas off of. You don't have people down the hall to ask a question to. Sometimes I ask myself that if I stopped doing what I'm doing right now would anyone care. Getting together with others in the same boat lets you know you're not the only one who is:

a.) experiencing rejection (lots and lots of rejection)
b.) checking the mailbox 35 times a day to see if the mail arrived with a check you've been waiting for
c.) waiting months (or years) to find out if something you wrote (or drew) actually sold.  

Any comments? Email me at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment