Monday, January 1, 2024

Writing Down Goals for the New Year

 At the end of every year, I write down a list of goals for the new year as it pertains to my writing. A few days ago I did just that.

Here's a list of some of the goals I set for 2024:

I wrote down who I'm sending gags to, how many gags I'm going to send them and how often, plus I set a goal for myself as far as the money I intend to receive from these sales. 

Since I have spoken to the public about my gag writing and thoroughly enjoy doing so, I wrote down which groups I plan to speak to this year, either solo or as part of a panel discussion. I really like being part of a panel discussion and I intend to do that in 2024.

I thoroughly enjoy networking and understand the value of it in this line of work. As I've said before, it's extremely important to make contacts with people who can hire you. I work alone, as most writers and cartoonists do, and I need to let people know what I do. Thus, in my list of goals for 2024, I wrote down specific events I wish to attend this coming year, such as the MOCCA Fest.

I also attend National Cartoonists Society events and included the plan to attend their local events on my list. 

(One of the items in my list of goals is to get back into the routine of writing this blog every week. So far, so good.)

I wrote down publications I plan to read on a regular basis in 2024, such as the New York Times, Newsday and the Wall Street Journal. I also wrote down news sources I read on a regular basis, such as cnn.com and nbcnews.com. 

Because I slant a great deal of my writing for the New Yorker, I wrote down that I plan to read Michael Maslin's blog, Inkspill, every day, which gives news concerning New Yorker cartoonists, such as awards received, new books, book signings, etc. Very helpful information.

Finally, I listed specific goals for myself, such as finding additional cartoonists and strips to write for in the new year.

Putting these goals down on paper is very helpful to me. It focuses me. As a writer, it's easy for me to put this on paper, and yes, I actually write these goals on pieces of paper. I know - I live in another era. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment