Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Putting Ideas on Paper...Before I Forget Them

I admit...I've been AWOL for awhile. But, I have been busy keeping to a regular schedule, writing gags and trying to make more sales. The whole process can be frustrating, with all the markets that have stopped publishing cartoons and the competition to sell to what is still here.

Right now I'm preparing for a talk I'll be giving in about a month about cartoon gagwriting. I just went through many years of published cartoons that contain my gags and chose what I consider to be some good ones to display at the event. It was very good for me to do this and I highly recommend this to other gag writers. It reminded me that over the years I've come up with some good ideas that sold, specifically to The New Yorker, Harvard Business Review and Barron's, and that I have the ability to do it again. Sadly, some of the publications I've sold to over the years no longer buy cartoons. The markets for business cartoons, specifically, have really dried up.

So, I continue supplying material to the syndicated strips I currently write for and continue to seek new ones to contribute to. I keep up with what's going on in the news, read constantly and go through old gags and try to update them. Also, studying published cartoons always gives me ideas for new ones.

But, sometimes the best ideas come from just looking around, listening to people talk, being aware of what's going on around you. There's humor everywhere...and, as a writer, I need to put these ideas on paper, and quickly...before I forget them.

Any comments or questions? Email me at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment