Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Best I Can Do

This has been a very busy summer for me and I've been negligent about writing this blog, which I apologize for.

So, I'm back doing what I've been doing for so many years: coming up with ideas for cartoonists. Reading newspapers and magazines (and not always completely understanding what I'm reading), jotting down words and phrases, spending time in various libraries (trying to find some peace and quiet and rewarding myself after writing for many hours by checking out DVD's), looking over old, published cartoons in various magazines (especially The New Yorker) and watching newscasts and reading online breaking news briefs, all for the purpose of getting new ideas for cartoons.

Some things work and some things don't. Sometimes just going through the daily newspaper works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes reading news and feature articles online works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes going through hundreds of published New Yorker cartoons gives me ideas for new ones. Sometimes it doesn't. And if I'm tired because it's the end of the day and I'm really a morning person, nothing works.

So, I just keep trying. Plugging away. Writing down my ideas. Sending them out. Believing that I have something to say and that someone else will relate to what I'm saying.

I guess that's the best I can do.

Any questions or comments... write to me at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment