Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Some of the Things I'm Doing This Week

In order to supply gags to the ten or so cartoonists I send material to, I read constantly: The New Yorker, Newsday, The New York Times, Barron's, Wall Street Journal, Reader's Digest, Harvard Business Review (and I'm sure I'm missing something). I don't actually read every word of every publication. I have to pick and choose the sections and the articles. I also read stories on The New Yorker's website, mostly the political articles, to keep me up-to-date with what's happening.

Right now I'm also reading "Peter Arno: The Mad, Mad World of The New Yorker's Greatest Cartoonist" by Michael Maslin. I've been waiting for this book to be published to find out more about the cartoonist's life and where he got his ideas. So far the book is full of interesting material and very well written. I recommend it to anyone who's interested in New Yorker cartoons.

I own a copy of "The Complete Cartoons of The New Yorker," which was published in 2004 and includes two CD's containing all the cartoons which ran in the magazine from 1925 to 2004. When I run out of ideas and need some motivation, I go through random years of cartoons for inspiration. It always helps.

Besides all this, with political news all around us, I get updated by listening to news radio and watching national and local broadcast news three to four times a day. I also get news briefs on my computer. And, my notebook follows me from room to room. I've got to write it down. I don't want to miss anything.

After this political season is over, things might seem quite boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment