Monday, January 8, 2024

In Search of Inspiration

Sometimes I need something to keep me motivated to write. I keep scrapbooks of published cartoons which contain my gags. Periodically I add to this. I find it very motivating to go through these published cartoons occasionally. It reinforces the belief that I can do this, as I have done it in the past. Also, it shows me what worked, what was accepted, and what wound up in print.

I write a lot from personal experience. In some ways, going through these published cartoons is a journey down memory lane, as I remember certain incidents in my life and now see them in these published cartoons. I see this most clearly in my writing for The Lockhorns for the past 27 years and for Dennis the Menace for the past 18. Someday I hope my children will go through these scrapbooks and get a laugh from these cartoons, realizing that I write about myself and my husband. 

I also keep a folder containing copies of positive emails I've received from cartoonists I work with, informing me about sales to The New Yorker or other publications. Reading through these emails is positive reinforcement for me, showing my successes and signaling to me that I can do it again.  

Any comments? Email me at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.

Happy Monday!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment