Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Keeping in Touch

 Oh, yes. Keeping in touch. This is the subject I give to emails when I want to connect with friends,  family and colleagues. Since most in-person cartoon-related events are still cancelled, I like to keep in touch with people by email and phone. (I don't text). In the past year and a half  I've watched many virtual cartooning events. However, I can hardly wait for in-person events to begin again: holiday parties, book-signings, exhibits, panel discussions, interviews with authors and so on. Writing can be a lonely undertaking. As I've said before, I get motivated when I get together with other creative minds.

Right now I'm trying to get motivated by re-reading how-to-cartoon books and leafing through various cartoon collections, such as: 

"The Cartoonist's Muse: A Guide to Generating and Developing Creative Ideas" by Mischa Richter and Harald Bakken; 

"How About Never - Is Never Good For You?" by Bob Mankoff;

"The Arbor House Book of Cartooning" by Mort Gerberg; 

"Cartooning - The Art and the Business" by Mort Gerberg;

"The Complete Cartoons of the New Yorker," edited by Bob Mankoff;

"Drawing on the Funny Side of the Brain," by Christopher Hart.

This is just a small sampling of books I read years ago when I started writing gags. 

I'm also looking forward to reading new books by Liza Donnelly, in February, and David Sipress, in March.

Still writing full time. Still reading actual newspapers, magazines and books plus news online. Trying to keep healthy and productive.


Any comments? Email me at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com










No comments:

Post a Comment