Wednesday, April 1, 2020

A Few Rambling Thoughts About My Day-To-Day

I've been writing gags for cartoonists from home full time long before the virus, so I know what it's like to work from home. Keeping a regular schedule is really important to me. Writing gags, constantly coming up with new ideas, is something I need quiet for, so I write at my desk in the basement or another quiet place I can find in the house. Planning out my days and weeks, knowing who I'm writing for on what days, is key for me

What is different is that now I can't go to a library to read, write and take out books. Another thing that's different is that I can't socialize with other cartoonists and/or writers because almost all events and get togethers have been cancelled. I hesitate to go to the post office for stamps, so now I'm ordering stamps online. I'll probably be doing the same for office supplies, the few I use.

I had recently started speaking to groups about cartoon gagwriting. I was able to get in some important speaking engagements before the virus really hit and cancelled almost everything where I live. One upcoming event was cancelled right away. Another, tentatively scheduled for June, may or may not happen in June.

Since I rarely see anyone I write for (as I send my ideas/gags through email or snail mail) my writing schedule has not been affected. I'm still getting up early (as I'm a morning person), reading the newspapers, checking email and beginning to write. I'm still making sales and cartoonists are still paying me. I guess the biggest change is that people are staying in their homes, non-essential businesses have closed and restaurants are closed except for take-out and delivery. I always looked forward to having lunch with a friend to catch up and, of course, this has stopped for the immediate future.

I will say this. If you're writing topical gags, there's plenty of material out there right now, from the TV, newspapers and, of course, online.

I've noticed that it's very quiet where I live now. I live near an airport and there are very few planes flying these days. I also live near a train station and a highway. Normally it's very noisy where I live. Not so much right now.

One other thing I've noticed: my street is on the end of a mail route. In normal times I get my mail very late in the day. I'm getting mail much earlier now, as there's almost no traffic to speak of.

Questions or comments? Email me at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment