Wednesday, December 23, 2015

What I've Been Doing Lately and Where I'm Headed

My husband and I attended the Manhattan Chapter of the National Cartoonists Society's holiday party this past Saturday night at the Society of Illustrators. What a wonderful evening! It was great to catch up with cartooning friends from the city, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut and wherever else they were from, meet new people, share lots of laughs and eat some great food. The Society of Illustrators is a wonderful place to have a party. Lots of great artwork line the halls of this welcoming spot. The holiday decorations just added to the whole scene. Our thanks to chapter president, Ed Steckley, and his team for putting on such a terrific evening.

Recently I saw the documentary "Very Semi-Serious" at the School of Visual Arts in the city, which focused on The New Yorker cartoonists and their journeys to get their cartoons accepted into the magazine. I enjoyed this film so much and plan to see it again.

I've been seriously thinking of doing some speaking to groups about cartoon gagwriting. Not being very computer-literate this could be a major project as I need to prepare a presentation where I can show published cartoons that contain my gags. My children are quite computer-literate and I plan to ask them to assist me in doing this - when they have the time. My goal is to start by speaking at area libraries and, once I know what I'm doing, speaking at bigger libraries! If anyone does this I'd like to hear from you. You can send me an email at: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.

Now that 2016 is just around the corner, it's time to write out lists of goals I have for the new year. I include such things as monetary goals, events I want to attend and specific people I want to meet. What can I say? I'm a writer. One of the things I write is lists. It works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment