Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Just Rambling on About This Blog

People are reading this blog. I know it. They're sharing stories with me about their journey as a writer or cartoonist. They're asking questions. They're asking for advice. They're thanking me for sharing my thoughts about ghostwriting, how I get my ideas, how I got to this place in my life.

I love what I do. I love being creative. I never thought of myself as creative because I don't draw. I don't paint. I never even took an art class. But, I write, and I work with people who are amazing artists and can take my ideas and create something fresh and funny. So, I guess I am creative. I find that the funniest things are based on reality. I use past experiences and opinions about things to create cartoons. Hopefully, they'll wind up in print (or online) and that will mean that others will also be able to enjoy them. Maybe they'll make someone laugh. I get a lot of satisfaction seeing my work in print. I don't get my name on the work, but I know that the work is mine. I created it. If I look at my portfolio, which contains hundreds of my ideas published in the form of cartoons, I immediately know what the origin is. The best ones are based on my life or the lives of people I know.

Being a writer, I can work almost anywhere. I've written jokes at the beach, on my backyard deck, in the cold basement in the dead of winter where, even with the heat on, it's still cold. Right now, writing this in the basement of my home, where my office is, where the temperature outside is over 90 degrees, it's warm in here, even with the air conditioning on. I've written in coffee shops, the library, in the den of my home, in the car, on the Long Island Rail Road. I don't leave the house if I don't want to, but after several days of staying inside, I want to. Being with people gives me energy...and ideas.

I keep a regular writing schedule. I consider what I do a full time job. I'm very fortunate that I'm able to do this. I take this writing business very seriously. I finally found my niche. This is what I'm supposed to be doing.

If any of you have any comments or questions, please email them to: gagsbyhelene@gmail.com.

Thank you for reading this. Hope it's been helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment